May Horticultural Services Inc. is a company that grew out of a unique gardening apprenticeship, field-time with a production grower, and hikes throughout the foothills of the Appalacians in Western Maryland, West Virginia, and South Central PA.
Our intent is to combine traditional horticultural technique with natural know-how; to garden for beauty but with an engaged ecologic sensibility; and to use plantsmanship to build structure, balance, and a stronger sense of permanence and purpose in our livable landscapes.
- Wild design incorporating local native complements into residential ecosystems – woodlands & meadows, water’s edge, ponds & streamways, rain gardens, & hedgerows
- Natural bank stabilization programs and implementation for ponds, slopes, & waterways
- Mass plantings to create groves, informal screens, bird & mammal habitat, butterfly gardens, & lawn tapestries
Pruning & Tree work – ISA certified & insured
- Corrective limbwork, deadwooding, and Hazard Tree Evaluation & removals
- Developmental pruning for young trees
- Verti-mulching & deep-aeration for compacted, post construction sites
- Recuperative fertilization programs for mature or declining trees
- Technical advice on planning and design, maintenance, IPM, & property mgmt.
- Working tutorials for engaged clients
- Garden mapping, curatorial record keeping, specimen and arboretum labeling
- Yearly maintenance plans developed and administered
- On-site training and supervision for in-house crews and groundskeepers
- Master Planning for site development and projected installations
Traditional Property Management & Maintenance
- Border management and enhancement
- Vegetable garden, orchard, bramble, & arbor planning, planting, & care
- Fine hedgework and hand shrubwork
- Dynamic container plantings
- Conservatory & Greenhouse management including long term care of large, potted tropicals and all care & maintenance for indoor plants
Plant Health Care (PHC) and Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- IPM & spray programs developed and implemented using organic/cultural methods 1st!
- Garden pest & disease surveys for vegetable crops, orchards, and landscape ornamentals
Meadow & Pasture management
- Planning, planting, and essential transitional care for managed meadows
- Yearly maintenance, rogueing, harrow renovation, mow & burns, successional planting
- Harmonious planning, planting, and transitional care to enhance/revive wooded areas
- Survey of native diversity and ecotype indexing
- Survey of exotic invasives and targeted removal programs
See examples of our: Design Sitework Treework